Wednesday, April 22, 2009

New Insurance Company

We've carried our car and home insurance with the same company since 1968 but this year's hike in the price made me switch over to Grey Power. I now have better coverage and saved $326 for the two policies. Before changing over I phoned my old company and told them what Grey Power was offering me. The lady I spoke to was very nice and understanding. She was aware of Grey Power and said they were a reputable organization which is able to offer seniors discounts on insurance that regular insurance companies can't match. Apparently she's been getting calls from other customers unhappy with the cost of their insurance this year, too.

It's stressful changing insurance companies because we hear all too often about them dumping customers who have a few accidents even if it's the other driver's fault. I drive a 2001 Honda, have never had an accident, and this year my old company wanted $1442 to insure my car. Grey Power is charging me $1171. Still too much but at least lower.

When I thought about it, I've never in all these years seen a single agent from my old insurance company because we dealt with a broker. It's not like I'm walking out on someone I know. I'll probably never see a single person from Grey Power, either. We just send our cheques and hope there's someone on the other end who will look after us in time of need.

Saving $326 this year is what spurred me to make the change but I feel confident I've done the right thing.

No comments: