Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Getting Quieter and Quieter

My trailer is on a busy corner in the park and just across the road from the clubhouse so there is lots and lots of both motor and foot traffic. After the end of March when most of the snowbirds go home the world around me becomes quieter and quieter. I don't like this.

We played Rummoli last night (7 of us) and even our game time was quiet. So quiet that a few of the other card players in the room came over and commented on it. It's as though all the fun has gone out of the game because we are winding down our winter and getting ready to face the world back home.

My young neighbors, Anna and Lisa, who are coming down to drive back with me will never know the true nature of this park in high season. It is usually a roiling organism full of enthusiastic seniors busily enjoying their retirement but today it's more like a boring and almost empty neighborhood. I know Anna and Lisa love to shop so they probably won't care how quiet it is in the park. Lisa likes to sleep, too, so she won't mind that half a dozen people aren't knocking on my door in the morning. I think I will, though.

Life at home is so different from here. This is my socializing ground and I have so many really nice and fun people to hang out with here daily. When I'm home I do keep myself busy with whatever interests I have and there is family (mostly working) and friends but it's not the constant clamor of activity that I enjoy in this park. I joke about needing the rest when I go home but I'd really like to live in a place just like this during the summer. Life is too short to rest too often.

In any case, today will find me going to the grocery store for water, doing some Swedish weaving, and then working Bingo tonight. It's not over till it's over.

No comments: