Saturday, April 18, 2009

New Keyboard

I learned something yesterday. When I got home my computer keyboard wasn't working properly, sticking keys that made the written word look ridiculous with missing letters and spaces. Being the computer illiterate person I am, I first thought it must be a problem with the computer itself and that scared the bejesus out of me. I just replaced my desktop computer last summer and hoped it would last at least 5 years.

But, being the internet surfing novice that I am, I did just that...surfed and researched the problem. I discovered that sticky keys are very common and usually caused by dirt or liquid spilling onto the keyboard. I didn't remember spilling anything on it but I do drink and eat while using it. It's also been sitting here uncovered for 5 1/2 months while I lazed away in Florida.

Anyway, at the advice of my computer people, I went to Best Buy and purchased a nifty new keyboard ($36) which works like a charm...so far. I just don't trust that anything will continue working like a charm.

Anna came over and hooked it all up for me and then we watched "Achmed the Dead Terrorist" on Youtube. I still think that's one of the funniest comedy skits I've ever seen.

Today I have to tackle cleaning up the basement. It's always the worst job by far when I get home because a lot of little bugs live down there and drop dead in the middle of the floor during the winter. Also, for some reason, dust settles down there more so than anywhere else in the house. I've already made arrangements for my summer flea market table so I'll be able to clear out some of the boxes of merchandise from the basement which will clear it out nicely. Sooner or later I'll have my clutter reduced enough that I'll be able to sell the house and move into an apartment.

Faye drove out to the flea market with me yesterday and mentioned that someone told her I must get lonely when I'm home in Canada after all the bustle in Florida. We laughed because I have so many interests and hobbies that I never have time to even think about being lonely. I know there are many widows in this world who suffer terribly from loneliness but I believe it's because they won't step out and develop new interests. It's a big world out there full of things to research and learn about.

I'm writing this horridly long blog because I'm testing the new keyboard and it's too dark to work in the basement. And that's just the way it is.

Note: Spoke too soon. It's the computer and not the keyboard that's causing my problems. I phoned Future Shop where I bought the computer and, surprise/surprise, it's not covered by the 1 year warranty. The tech said it I need to create a recovery disc (?) and somehow that will fix it. I'll need to speak to my computer people.

No comments: