Tuesday, April 21, 2009

That's What Friends Are For

Most of us have a limited number of people in our family and extended family but the possibility for friends is unlimited. Friends often take the place of family in our lives because we become so close to them.

One of my best friends (and an ex in-law), Mary, came to my aid yesterday and helped me set up my flea market table. It was a rainy, miserable day but good old Mary traipsed in to help me out. I'd told her it wasn't necessary because I could do it myself but she said she wanted to do it.

We worked side by side for a few hours getting more dirty instead of tired out but there was some heavy work, too. When we were finished we went out for a leisurely lunch (surprise?) and talked for ages. Mary, Faye and I are very close and have always gotten along excellently. We've known each other for so darned many years that we know each other's secrets so we have to stay friends.

I finally drove home in a pouring rain, tired and ready for a nap but started playing on the computer instead. 6 P.M. rolled around before I knew it and the phone rang. It was young Anna from across the road wanting to know if I'd like to go out for dinner with her and Lisa. I'd planned on pulling soup out of the freezer for my dinner but immediately said, "Sure!". There really was no better choice, was there?

The girls drove me down to a chinese restaurant in the east end that they like and I ordered a tasty beef and vegetable dish which was very good. The girls ordered monstrous bowls of a beef soup and, when I tasted it, I decided to order a small bowl for takeout. Unknown to me, Lisa had paid for our meal so I was a little embarrassed for ordering takeout, too.

Then home and to an early bed after a lovely day spent with good friends.

1 comment:

Kim said...

I love Mary.