Saturday, July 18, 2009

New Baby Terrors

I'm not going to laugh at my grandson's fears about just how to care for his brand new firstborn but I am sort of giggling inside. Every parent has gone through those same fears about doing something devastatingly stupid with their firstborn but somehow we all survive.

My Kim was 9 lb. 8 oz. when she was born and I'd never even held a newborn. I'd read that babies feed every 4 hours so that's when I tried feeding her. Today we know that babies should be fed on demand but I spent many days crying along with poor Kimmie and trying to wait out those 4 damn hours. I thought she'd explode if I fed her too soon. Talk about stupid!

I really think that firstborn babies survive despite their sometimes inept parents. It might be the reason that firstborns are often leaders in the community. They've had to pave the way for subsequent siblings and they've had to be strong to do it.

Little Nolan has everything he needs in parents. They love him and will do their best to raise him right. Love will get you through when nothing else will.

No comments: