Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Giving Thanks

I've been giving thanks a lot lately and I wonder what that means. Since I'm not a religious person, just where is this offering going? I guess I've been quite weighted down with responsibilities since my husband passed away...and even for the year he was ill...and now a few things are falling in place. I always leaned heavily on my husband because he was a strong, responsible person who could be counted on to take care of whatever came up. I've never felt emotionally strong enough to handle much of anything until I was forced to start doing it five years ago.

I guess my thanks is to the universal forces that put me here, in this moment, and infused me with the inborn ability to carry on. I know I've discovered strengths in myself that I never knew were there and maybe that's the secret of the human spirit. We can do what we have to do.

In past years, I've been fortunate enough to celebrate the American Thanksgiving in Florida and it's there that I realize a deep down gratitude for where my life has led me. As my friends drop their heads in prayer of thanksgiving, I drop my head and thank the great unknown for putting me in this place at this time among good, good people. Maybe I'm not certain where my prayers are directed but I do know I have much to be thankful for.

I'll be forever grateful for my wonderful family and friends. I think that means that I've lucked out in this life!

No comments: