Monday, December 07, 2009

Cell Phones...Not Just Dangerous

I'm not a cell phone user so it's easy for me to find fault with them..or their users. It's hard for me to understand the need for people to talk on the phone as they shop, dine, walk, or socialize. I can't for the life of me understand why someone would have their cell phone operational while they are in a theatre!

Today I had lunch in Ruby Tuesday's (love the mini burgers!) and watched in dismay as an elderly couple ate their dinner without speaking once to each other. But the lady spent a good 15 minutes talking on her cell phone. The man took the phone when she was finished and spent another 10 minutes with his own call. Both people spoke with animation to whoever was on the other end of the line but had no words for the person they were dining with. How sad.

I've been in theatres where someone's silly cell phone theme music played loudly, disturbing the other patrons in the theatre. At times, the cell phone owner answers the call, speaking and giggling "quietly", not caring that their voices are still disturbing the people around them. Rude? You bet.

Most often we see a person sitting with friends, possibly in a restaurant, and happily ignoring them and gabbing on their cell phone to someone else. Then there are the people who shop alone while carrying on loud and personal conversations on their phones. How did they live without them before the technology was there?

Years ago, wondering how my own teenage daughters could spend so much time on house phones, I predicted that there would come a day when newborns would receive telephone implants at birth. I laughed when I said this but I'm not laughing anymore. It's coming.

No comments: