Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Retreating

I don't know if it's advancing age but I've made the decision to stay home 2 nights a week instead of only 1. When I'm back home in Canada, I'm usually home every single evening and it doesn't bother me because I have so many interests and projects on the go. It's only when I'm in Florida for the winter that I venture out to the clubhouse every evening.

First I stopped going to Pokeno on Monday nights because it's a little too boring for me and it was nice to have a quiet evening to myself. A couple of weeks ago I decided to cut out the Sunday night ice cream social with games afterward. I seem to be enjoying my solitude a little more this year and I'm not sure why.

For whatever reason, the quiet evenings have come to an end until next Sunday. Today is movie afternoon followed by card games in the evening. Tomorrow is Bingo in the evening. Thursday is Christmas Eve festivities in the evening at the clubhouse . Friday is a huge and wonderful Christmas dinner at 1 P.M. in the clubhouse. Heaven only knows if any of us will be ready for games in the evening but games will again be on for Saturday evening. No wonder I need a break from humanity on Sunday and Monday evenings.

We have a large group of great friends that are interesting and fun to hang out with so each busy evening is a welcome one but sometimes I just have a need to retreat into my little trailer and vegetate. But in the back of my mind is the thought that there will one day come a time when every single one of my evenings will be quiet and spent alone. I'm not near ready for that yet and I do wonder if I'm beginning my retreat too soon.

I figure I'll live until I'm 90 (wishful thinking?) so I have 21 years to gradually step back into solitude. In that case, I'd better not cancel any more busy evenings for the next few years.

Just a note: I have a habit of putting on my porch light and the Florida room light when I'm out in the evening so my good neighbor was concerned about a darkened trailer 2 nights in a row. He phoned last night to see if I was all right. Another indication of the caring people in this park.








No comments: