Monday, January 25, 2010

Nan, Are You Watching?

I was pretty well raised by my grandmother whom I called Nan. Looking back, I think I was a little embarrassed by her because she was a little different. Now I'm wondering if I'm following in her tracks.

Nan loved costume jewelry and wore what she referred to as "chandelier earrings" when she dressed up. I've taken to wearing medium large hoop earrings and lately I've added necklaces. I used to look in the mirror and see my mother but these days I'm seeing my grandmother. Not that I give a hoot...take me as I am or go away.

Nan was gregarious and loved to entertain company. This came in handy since she was the local bootlegger. She was also a heavy woman which always made me uneasy but look at me now! More and more I see similarities between us and I think we could have been good friends if we'd been the same age at the same time.

My grandmother passed away at age 72 and I'm in my 70th year right now. I wish she was still here...now that I've learned to appreciate her.

No comments: