Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Feeling a Little Guilty

This is how the story went.

Millie, Sylvia, and I went to the jewelry warehouse that has such great stuff at such great prices. It was my last trip of the season.

Millie was returning a pendant she'd bought on an earlier trip because it was flawed. She'd paid $1 for it and just wanted a replacement. She also had $100 in her purse to purchase a lot more,

As we walked into the store I spotted some terrific bracelets, price 50 cents each!!! I scooped up 15 of them and continued with my shopping. This was Sylvia's first trip to the store and she needed to spend time looking around so I figured we were there for a while.

From Millie's direction came the sounds of an argument. I was shocked to hear the sales people squawking that Millie's pendant had not been purchased there, that they'd never carried such a pendant. Now that was a pure lie because I was with Millie when she bought it and the only place she'd purchased any jewelry was right there in that store. I'd taken her there to help her get started selling jewelry like I'm doing.

I walked over and explained this to the sales people but they were adamant. No, no, no....and this over a $1 pendant that only needed replacement! Customers in the immediate area were also surprised that the store would make such a fuss over such a small thing so I'm sure everyone would think twice about shopping there again. And, because of the staff's ignorance, they'd lost the $100 sale that Millie would have made!

Millie, short and fiery, shouted, "I'll never shop here again and I'll tell all my friends not to shop here either!". And then she stomped out.

But I had these neat bracelets and they only cost 50 cents each. And it was Sylvia's first trip there. I made a quick decision to pay for the bracelets and then stomp out in support of my friend.

Millie stood by the car, not quite as angry as I'd expected. We were both mad at the clerks but agreed we'd both shop at the store next year, after they'd forgotten who we were. After all, the merchandise is so good and so darned cheap.

But I do feel a little guilty for not immediately following Millie out of the store. Just a little.


1 comment:

patsyrose said...

Hope you enjoy the blog...it's my way of letting off steam or just having fun.