Thursday, May 27, 2010

Discontinuing the Penny

There are two good reasons for discontinuing production of the penny. One, it costs more than a penny to produce each one and, two, we can't buy penny candy anymore.

I have vivid memories of standing in front of the candy counter, a few pennies in my hot little hands, and struggling over which candy to buy. Would it be the ones that cost 10 for a penny, the more expensive 5 for a penny, or would I splurge it all on the biggies...a penny each. I don't remember a grouchy sales clerk too impatient to wait for me to make my choice. I think they enjoyed the show.

Canadians already have to put up with loonies and toonies (which still have value) but weighing us down with almost valueless pennies is just too much.

My vote is to get rid of the damn things. No more $9.99 items geared to fool us into thinking we're only paying $9+. I just wonder how added tax will be affected...will our bill be rounded out to the highest number??? We can't kid outselves that somehow this will be a monetary saving for us but it will be a convenience, lightening our wallets without spending a "cent".

1 comment:

MyrleBal詩婷 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.