Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Work..Nap

The older I get, the longer it takes me to get my yard in shape in the spring. It seems like I work about half a day and then nap an hour or two.

Today I cut the lawn and trimmed back all the overgrown bushes. This took me 2 1/2 hours of hard work but then I had an hour's nap before feeling human again. I remember when I used to work in the yard all day, moan all evening about my sore muscles, and then wake up the next day ready to go again. Now I'm only good for half a day, need a nap, and the sore muscles still hang around for a week.

Old age definitely feels different from youth. I consider myself more than fortunate that I have very little chronic pain...almost no arthritis but I do have that unstable knee. I tire more easily than I used to and it's not just a weariness but a deep down exhaustion if I push myself too far.

Monday I filled 13 large planters with soil (from the front of the house) and carried them to the backyard. They were very heavy and I wasn't sure I'd be able to finish the job but I did. The one thing that kept me going is that this will be the last time these particular planters need new soil. The next time it will be done by the people who buy my house in a few years. This job required a 2 hour nap.

It's hard work keeping up a house and that's why most seniors opt to sell out and move into apartments. If my husband had lived, he would have absolutely hated living in an apartment but I'm not concerned about how I'll do in the least. I have lots of hobbies and a car to take me wherever I choose to go. The only stipulation I have for moving into an apartment is that it have a nice sized balcony where I can have a few flower planters. Oh yes, and also my own washer and dryer.

I know that life would be simpler for me if I sold and moved on but I'm mainly comfortable here. My neighbors are all great and the neighborhood is relatively safe and close to all conveniences. I sort of believe that the longer I stay in my house the better off I'll be financially, too.

Today my yard looks great, my nap is done but I'm still a little sore, there's home made ham soup simmering in the crock pot, and I get to see my precious greatgrandson tonight. Life is good!

No comments: