Thursday, June 17, 2010

Having a Yard Sale

I've been trying to plan a yard sale this spring but just about every weekend had a rain forecast. It's not just me who's involved but also my daughter, Kim, who helps me put up the tent and then subs for me when I have to go inside the house for coffee or a pee. I don't mind leaving regular yard sale stuff unattended but this year I'll also be selling my jewelry and that would disappear in a wink if left out.

Selling the jewelry at a yard sale means I can sell it at half price because there's no table rental cost. Renting a table at the hospital is costing me about $135 for the day so I have to charge more for the jewelry just to make a slight profit. It's still much more fun than doing the flea market, though, and my stock takes up very little space. It's something I can continue on with even when I'm in an apartment.

I made up the yard sale signs this morning and, as a veteran yard saler, I know exactly what to put on them..."YARD SALE" and an arrow pointing toward my house. People who write all kinds of information on their signs are wasting their time because motorists don't have the time to read it as they pass by.

I got rid of most of my disposable stuff at the yard sales I had last summer but there's always more that could go. I'm really getting into this purging thing and find it very freeing.

It's going to be a nice day today so I'll cut the grass, wash the patio furniture and lounge outside as long as I can. Life is good.



No comments: