Thursday, June 10, 2010

The S..T Has Hit The Fan

I was already feeling a bit harrassed because I need to get an emissions test for my car this summer before renewing the licence, renew my driver's licence, renew my health card, and renew my passport which expires in September. Now it seems that I have to rush the passport renewal because it expires less than 6 months after my July trip to Florida. First I have to get a passport photo and that's enough to really stress me right out. The last one I had taken looks suspiciously like my mother!

Why in the world does the U.S. require that a visitor's passport expire more than 6 months after their visit? I'm going for a bloody week, not months for heaven's sake. I'm certainly not a terrorist and I have not a smidgeon of interest in living in the States full time. I guess I could apply for an enhanced driver's licence instead but I know that will probably take longer to process than a passport.

It used to be so easy for Canadians to travel to the States. Our border was one of the friendliest in the world but that was before terrorists decided that Canada would make a nice jumping point into the States. I don't blame them for tightening entry restrictions but I just wish there was no need for it.

No comments: