Monday, August 02, 2010

Home Hunters

I love watching decorating shows on T.V. (although I never use any of their suggestions) and home buyer/seller shows. I'm always a little taken aback by the comments made by house hunters, though.

They walk into someone's pride and joy and immediately start finding fault with it even though many of these homes are almost like mansions to me. They look at perfectly beautiful kitchens or bathrooms and say, "Well, this will have to go!", and I'm left wondering what they'd think of my humble abode. I doubt they'd be looking at houses like mine in the first place, though.

Maybe I have simpler tastes.

Another thing I find odd is that many house hunters are unable to envision their own things in a new house. I could even walk into my own house and imagine it decorated in many different ways so I don't understand what's so difficult about that.

One of the househunter shows I watch takes place in Toronto where prices are astronomical. Houses like mine there sell for at least double what they do in my city and Toronto househunters seem to be so happy to actually get a house that they aren't too fussy about what it looks like. I guess "location, location" is all that matters.

When we bought our house in 1968, that's how I felt. Everything we looked at was nicer than where we were living at the time so I didn't need all the bells and whistles people seem to want today. I just wanted my own house! I CRAVED to own my own house! Dennis, who really couldn't care less about buying a house, didn't have a chance against me.

Once bought and moved into, my eyes began to pick up areas I'd like changed and that's what we did for all the years we lived here. We changed things to look better, at least to me. Like I said, Dennis didn't mind things just the way they were but a woman's home is her nest and she wants it just so.

I'll be selling my nest in a few years and I really don't want to know what potential buyers will have to say about it. What I do want is to be allowed to come back a year later and see the improvements made. I know I'll love whatever they do.

No comments: