Saturday, September 11, 2010

The Burka is Inhuman

We had the Mohawk College garage sale today and it's a great place to "people watch". You see people carrying their newly found treasures as they stroll by and you really wonder why anyone would want some of them. One man's junk is another man's treasure, though.

At one point, a lady (I can only assume) wearing a burka came by. She looked so out of place and so unapproachable all covered in black from head to toe, even her hands were covered with black gloves. There was not a speck of skin to be seen. She seemed to sail through the crowds like a black ghost. It always makes me angry to see these women dressed like this. What kind of religion would brainwash their women in this way so that they can't socialize with others? I can't imagine being drawn into a friendship with a woman hidden inside a shroud, not even her eyes to make contact with.

The anger I feel is not directed at these women but at their men and their religion. I feel profound compassion for the poor soul so hidden from view. Will their daughters and granddaughters follow suit or will they develop Canadian standards where women have equality...or, at least, are supposed to be considered equal? Will these women, invisible in their coverings, ever be able to integrate into Canadian society?

I assume they have some kind of vision through their veils but do they drive their cars with such limited vision? As far as I know, women are not allowed to get a driver's licence photo ID without exposing their face but I could be wrong. They are an enigma to me. I can't understand a culture that inhibits their women like this and I grieve for the opportunities of friendships they are losing.

My sincere hope is that future generations are able to discard these primitive shackles without fear of retaliation from their religious leaders or their male relatives. I'm betting their freedom will come sooner or later but not without bloodshed. It's very sad.

No comments: