Saturday, September 25, 2010

I've Got a Cold

Every year, for as long as I can remember, I get a bad head and chest cold in January that hangs on for about 3 weeks. I haven't had a cold at any other time of the year in ages. Yesterday my throat began to feel scratchy and my nose was running. Oh oh!

It was difficult to sleep last night because my throat was sore and I'd developed a screaming headache along with it. At first, I thought maybe I was having some kind of physical effect from the bug spray but, no, it's a darned cold. I don't think it's the strange weather we're having, though...hot one day, cold and wet the next.

I don't eat properly and my immune system is not A1 so I'm abusing this poor old body something fierce by not taking care of it. To be honest, I think it might be too late for me to start taking better care of myself but that could just be an excuse. I did start taking a multi-vitamin this summer so that's a step in the right direction.

I don't worry as much about having a cold now as I do when I'm in Florida. I'm at home and only a phone call from my nice family doctor if it gets too severe. In Florida, I have no family doctor and would have to go to the hospital emergency if I was really sick. That's something that is always on the minds of us Canadians, especially, when we're in Florida. We don't want to alert our insurance companies that we're sick because it could affect our insurance rates for the following year.

So far, my cold consists of a mildly sore throat and runny nose so maybe it won't last long. I hope not because I'm not a good patient...and I also have to be the care giver to myself. I can't stand to hear myself whine.

No comments: