Sunday, September 05, 2010

Religion

There are so many unfathomable aspects to religion that it's hard to choose one. I suppose I'll never understand how all of the religions preach peace and love to their fellow man but there are still very religious people who commit murder in the name of their religion.

In polygamist religions, why is it acceptable for middle aged and old men to take on so many young wives? I understand it's the old men who have the monetary means to support all those wives but why is there no thought that this is causing deprivation to the young men of their church?

In the catholic church, there have been so many children molested by their priests that it's chased previously devouted followers from that religion. How can a so-called man of god do such harm to a child?

Then there are the evangelists who put on great T.V. shows to elicit money from gullible viewers. Many of these evangelists have been shown to be con artists, taking money from poverty stricken people and using it to live lavish lifestyles.

I'm so skeptical about the honesty in religion that I can't accept that one needs to go to church and praise the church leaders in order to reach their god. I believe that if you lead your life in an honest and kind way, that should be all that any god would want from his/her people.

I'm 70 years old and am still searching for the truth in religion. It dominates everyone's everyday lives and yet churchgoers still have to rely on "faith" rather than "proof". I envy the religious because it gives them comfort but I also wonder how so many of those same people can commit terrible crimes against their fellow man. The questions are endless.

Today is Sunday and my sister is going to church. She has a strong faith that she never questions. Could it be that I question too much? Again, more questions.

No comments: