Saturday, September 04, 2010

What's Going On With The Weather?

I've worn short sleeves, clam diggers, and sandals all summer and still felt too warmly dressed. Yesterday I packed an overnight bag to go out to Mary's so I packed similar clothing to wear today. Holy Hannah!!! I almost froze my butt off just going out the door this morning as we headed off to St. Jacobs. Thank goodness Mary had a nice warm cardigan to lend me but my feet would just have to suffer.

I wasn't sure our cardigans would keep us warm enough but we drove on up to St. Jacobs, anyway. The wind was howling and there was an excellent chance that we would see rain but we figured that would mean fewer people at the flea market and outlet buildings.

We hit some heavy rainfall and intermittent drizzle all the way up and I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the lengthy lineups of cars going into the flea market. Why the heck hadn't these people stayed home? Were they crazy? Mary pointed out that we were just as crazy.

Luckily we found a nice parking spot close to one of the buildings and managed to get in without getting too wet. I'd convinced Mary we were close enough to not need our cardigans so we were pretty darned cold by the time we got inside. The wind was vicious!

Mary found some nice tops and shoes and I found a cute pair of warm winter shoes for Nolan. Everything in the shoe store was discounted and then they took 50% off that...I think they expected small crowds on such a rotten day but the place was packed.

We drove over to another section which held indoor and outdoor flea market stalls. I have no idea how many of the outdoor vendors were still in business because there was no way I was going to brave frigid winds and rain to check them out. Mary and I went inside the building and headed straight for the food court where we bought cheese perogies with sour cream. Yummy!

After eating we wandered around the building, saw quite a few things we might like but didn't really need, and I bought 2 bottles of nail polish for $5. Then I was ready to go home. Shopping just doesn't hold a whole lot of interest for me these days because I'm still trying to downsize the stuff in my house.

We drove back and I dropped Mary off at her house, both of us stating how much we'd enjoyed our time together. She's a good friend and I always enjoy being with her because we joke all the time and have never had an argument in all the years we've known each other. It's nice being around someone like that.

When I got home, I bundled up in front of the T.V. with my good old Swedish weaving afghan and had a nap. It was hard to get warm. How could this cold, windy weather have taken over so fast? It's just too big a change in too short a time period but it's supposed to be warmer throughout the next week so I'll ignore my urge to turn on the furnace tonight and just bed down under my nice warm quilt.

Are we experiencing global warming, global cooling, or what??

No comments: