Thursday, September 09, 2010

Two Shockers

Shocks to my system or mind don't come all that often but today I got two biggies.

My first shocker came as I was watching the local news on T.V. at suppertime and found out that an old acquaintance who I hadn't seen since he was in his 40's and who had worked with my husband was running for mayor. No, that was a surprise and not a shock. The shock was when I heard that someone had voicemailed the T.V station and said that "The elderly have their place in politics...etc. etc. etc.". He was referring to my old acquaintance! I almost choked on my noodles but then I realized that, yes, he would be in his early 70's now and, yes, that is elderly. Hot damn! I'm elderly! I refer to myself as an old gal but I guess I haven't really believed it in my heart.

Shock #2 was also a news article on T.V. The crazed preacher who had planned to burn the Koran on 9/11 has changed his mind and won't do it. BUT...the reason he won't do it is because the imam of the planned mosque near the twin towers has also decided it isn't a good idea and will build elsewhere. Could this really be true???

I am utterly amazed at this change of events, can't really comprehend how it all came about, and really wish I had listened to the interview with the imam last night.

If this is factual, it's the imam who is the hero...who would have thought?

I can't wait to watch the 11 P.M. news tonight.

No comments: