Monday, October 25, 2010

Latest Swedish Weaving Afghan


This is my latest afghan and it's for me. I took one of the sofa cushions to the fabric store so I could match up the colors for the yarn but I'm thinking it's a little strongly colored for my livingroom. I like it, though, and it will stay for a while.


Picture #1 is the afghan and picture #2 is the table runner. In picture #2 there is a shot of one of my next afghans (for Nicole). I'll actually make one for Aeron first but the yarn for Aeron is in Florida so I'll just work on Nicole's right now.

I love working on these afghans but it's nice to have a runner on the go, too, because they're small enough to take out in the yard to work on. The afghans are over 6' long and sometimes drag on the floor while I'm weaving so I don't like to get them dirty.

Last year I brought about $400 worth of monk's cloth home from Florida because Walmart is gradually discontinuing it's fabric department. I have some of most of the colors available but discovered I don't have much of the ecru. I'll have to buy at least 20 yards of that to bring home and then I'll be comfortable with my stash. This is a hobby I'll do as long as I'm able because it's soul satisfying!

Faye and I thought of maybe teaching Swedish weaving at the senior center but the fabric is way too expensive to buy in Canada and now it might not even be available at Walmart in the States. Joann's Fabrics sometimes has the white and ecru but it's more expensive than at Walmart. I'm very happy I bought that large supply last winter while I could find it.

Tomorrow is my jewelry selling day at the hospital and I'm taking a load of table runners, too. Every single one is beautiful but people don't want to pay high prices so they'll be practically given away. Most people who make crafts to sell can't ever expect to be compensated for their time but that's okay. I love doing the work and that's compensation enough.

Well, on to the next work of art!

No comments: