Monday, November 01, 2010

Can't Take The Cold

The coldest place I've ever been in my life is St. Stephen, New Brunswick in January. I had never felt cold like that in my life and have never felt anything like it since. It hurt.

My husband and I had gone there for my mother-in-law's 90th birthday and then headed south to Florida. That year I really discovered the pleasure of spending my winter in a warm state. From that year on, we spent 5 1/2 months every winter in Florida and I hope to have a few more years to do so.

I hate the cold. There's no doubt that mounds of pure white snow glistening in the sunlight can be very beautiful if you're looking at it through the window of your nice, warm house but I much prefer stepping outside to the warm winter air and bright sunshine of Florida. I've become uncomfortable in this cool Autumn weather we're experiencing in Canada and getting antsy to leave for my trailer in Florida on Saturday.

There are still a trillion loose ends to clear up before I leave and I've taken the luxury of a mostly free week to take care of them. The only clothes I've packed so far are my bathing suits. I take them home every year because some people think the summer heat in Florida destroys the elastic. Since it takes me forever to find a bathing suit that fits, I'm not about to lose any so I bring them all home with me.

I love my family dearly but the one person I'll miss most of all is Nolan. The rest of them won't have changed much by April but he will change a lot. Babies grow up much too fast and the second year of their lives is probably one of the most interesting because that's when they really begin to learn how to live in our world.

Oh well, I have my choice of where I want to be this winter and I have chosen Florida so I'm not going to cry about opportunities lost. I'll have lots of fun every day this winter with some wonderfully nice people who can make me laugh almost as well as Nolan can. They're not near as cute, though.

No comments: