Thursday, November 25, 2010

Do Natives Celebrate Thanksgiving?

I was about to write a blog on what Thanksgiving means to me when I suddenly wondered if the natives also celebrate Thanksgiving. They probably should. Before the pilgrims came they might have experienced the luxury of claiming the whole continent as their hometown but they lived in tents and captured their food with bows and arrows.

Anyway, no Thanksgiving passes, either Canadian or American, that I don't reflect on the things I have to be thankful for. My life is not one of luxury but we really don't need that. I have a loving family and friends. I have the health and funds to provide me with a little trailer in Florida for the winter. I have a 9/10 year old car that gets me where I want to go. I have all I need to make me happy.

Media makes some of us think that we need every luxury item available to be happy but they're full of s...t. Even those natives of long ago were happy in their tents because they had what is important...family and friends. Owning a $500,000 house (along with the bank) will not make you happy if you don't have the basics. Sitting at the table with your family and serving them a nice Thanksgiving dinner today will make you much happier.

It's a lovely warm and sunny morning here today. Buddy is lying at my feet and watching me type, there is laundry in the washer, and I'll be able to hang much of it on the clothesline. I love the smell of sheets dried on the line and that's what I'll be snuggled in tonight.

Thanksgiving dinner will be served at the clubhouse at 1 P.M. and our table for 10 is already set with my multi-use tablecloth and our name tags. We'll eat, socialize, and we'll take a moment to think upon all we have to be thankful for. I, for one, have so very much.

No comments: