Sunday, December 05, 2010

Don't Ask, Don't Tell

Every time I hear on the news the furor over whether or not the military should have a policy of "don't ask, don't tell" for gay servicemen and women, I shake my head and wonder why so much time and energy is being spent on this subject.

It matters not one iota what your sexual preference is as long as you are an honest and honorable person. It is no-one's business who anyone sleeps with.

When dealing with someone, I'd be much more concerned with whether or not that person had a communicable disease but somehow the civil rights people have managed to suppress that kind of information to the public. I really don't care who the person I'm dealing with has slept with the night before but I do care if he/she might transfer deadly germs of any kind to me.

In talking to my grandchildren, I can see how times have changed. There is no longer a widespread feeling of revulsion when discovering that someone is gay. Young people generally are a million times more accepting than they were when I was young and that's a great improvement.

In any case, stop concentrating on who sleeps with who and start paying more attention to qualities that really matter.




No comments: