Saturday, January 01, 2011

Disc Jockeys

Every New Year's Eve we have a big party at the clubhouse and every year it's loads of fun...but not this year. The reason was that the disc jockey wasn't knowledgeable about his audience.

Seniors today tend to love to hear and dance to 50's, 60's, and 70's music but this guy played way too many strenuous "twists" and crappy stuff that no-one could dance to. As a disc jockey, he should have been prepared for any type of audience but he wasn't. One of the ladies went up and tried to tell him the music wasn't suitable so he slowed it right down to slow dance after slow dance and then, horrors, Dean Martin! Barb and I could take no more so we left (along with a heck of a lot of others) at 10:30.

I would think that a good disc jockey would watch his audience carefully to see what they responded to and then play a lot of that sort of music.

My favorite dance song is "Good Old Rock and Roll Music" and he did play that but not so everyone could dance to it. He got 2 people (one drunk) in the center of the floor and had about 30 more stand in a circle around them. He played the best song of the night with 30 people standing and watching a drunk stagger around. Joann, Barb, and I got up in a small section of floor near our table and danced our little hearts out.

Anyway, I've been to more boring parties in my life so it wasn't the end of the world. I'm still a happy camper and I've made it to 2011. I'm looking forward to a good year filled with family and friends.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Happy New Year Momma xoxooxooxoxo