Friday, March 04, 2011

Senior's Health Concerns

Shelley is taking courses to elevate herself from an RN to a nurse practitioner and one of her credits will be for her to address a group of seniors on one or more of their health concerns. She asked me if I could bring together 8 ladies at our park so she could speak to them and, since more than that number come to our Friday coffee morning, I suggested she come over then.

First I have to find out what my coffee group would like to hear from her. Faye suggested a talk on sex but one of the other ladies added, "or lack of", and another lady suggested breathing problems which seem to affect quite a few of our people. COPD is one subject but there are a few breathing problems that afflict seniors so I'll talk to my group today and make a list.

Shelley is quite open to anything we want to hear about and I know she'll make the morning a lot of fun, too. The ladies here are not shrinking violets so I'm sure the session will be a lively one with lots of laughter.

Shelley plans to do her talk on the 18th and then, if anyone wants, to come back on the 25th and speak to us about the interaction of different drugs and how they might be harmful. If the weather turns against us and we can't have our coffee morning outside, we'll all go over to the small clubhouse.

I can't wait to see my beautiful baby in professional mode in a light hearted way. Any other time I've watched her perform professionally was not a happy time. She came back home to Canada to help nurse both Dennis and David in their final days and was invaluable to the family during those awful times.

I'm thinking that speaking to our coffee ladies will be very different...informative, but with a fun side to it.

2 comments:

bluebird of paradise said...

and I will be there!

patsyrose said...

You bet! And I'm counting on you to help make the discussion even more interesting!