Monday, May 23, 2011

Holiday Monday



I planted these pretty little violas a little while back when I just had to plant something and it was too early for Impatiens. Picture #1 shows a slightly retarded growth due to the damn squirrels trying to dig them up but picture #2 shows a nice, bushier pot of violas.


I'm still in the process of planting and will be for a few more weeks as I fill in spots. It's such an enjoyable chore that I really like to spread it out as long as I can. I'm actually planting fewer flowers each year but the old standbyes like impatiens, begonias, geraniums, and portulaca remain my favorites. I'll only be planting portulaca at the front of the house because they love the sun and don't mind being dried out.


Mary is coming in on Wednesday to go plant shopping and that's when I'll get the one and only big hanging pot that I'll purchase. It's fun to watch little plantlings grow big over the summer but it's also nice to have one beautiful pot that's in full bloom right at the start. My theme this year is mainly pink and white so I'll get those colors plus a lot of trailing blues, I hope.


My belief is that a garden should mostly take care of itself so that we have lots of time to enjoy them without working too hard to maintain them. My newfound love of hostas reflect that belief because there isn't much to do with them except admire them as they come back larger every year.


Some perennials such as shasta daisies and poppies are almost impossible to get rid of. I've tried to eliminate them from my front garden but they won't give up so I decided to enjoy their early flowers and then cut them right down to the ground. They are so prolific that they choke out other plants that I'd prefer to keep. Another perennial that irks me is coridalis (not sure if that is spelled right). Thankfully it has shallow roots so I just yank out the ones I don't want. They seem to breed like rabbits, though, and pop up all over the place once you've planted just one. The lady who gave the first plant to me told me that the year after I planted it. Thanks, maam!


Don't think I'm really complaining. I've pretty well got my garden the way I want it and there's no way to escape weeding. It's all part of the big picture. I love flower gardens so therefore I weed.







No comments: