Thursday, May 12, 2011

Losing Things

I don't understand how I can keep losing or misplacing things. I try very hard to be organized and yet some of the most obvious things just disappear. Before leaving for Florida in the fall, I brought 3 medium sized totes up to the diningroom and gradually filled them with items I wanted to take with me. I decided to make copies of a book full of Swedish weaving patterns to take and then piled them into a tote along with a book on embroidery. I have no idea what happened to those because I could never find them again either at the trailer or here at home. I can only assume I put them somewhere "for the time being" and have just forgotten where.

I also bought about a dozen little girl pendants to add to the ones I sell and couldn't find them for a whole month. I half remembered putting them inside a bag that would be coming home with me but couldn't remember which one. It could be that I just have too much stuff so no wonder things get misplaced.

I know I get ahead of myself, planning for some future time when an item will be needed and that's why I have such a large assortment of crafts and books. Today I'll shop for tile that won't be used for at least a month but I like to know it's here in case the handyman has a spare moment to install it. I borrowed a book from Mary last fall and still haven't read it but I plan to. I bought a large assortment of oil paints, easel, and canvases for when I get the urge to paint...but that was about 3 years ago. There is a definite pattern here.

Part of my problem is that I'm impatient and don't want to have to wait too long to satisfy a whim. If I suddenly get the urge to do some folk art, the paints had better be right there or the urge will quickly pass and I'll be on to something else that caught my attention. Satisfying my impatience means I have to have a lot of stuff on hand and that's what gets me into a mess. The past few years, as I decluttered and discarded, I had to admit that there wasn't much of a chance that I'd ever use many of the items I'd saved and stored so that made it easier to get rid of them.

This isn't the case with the pattern copies and it's bugging me wondering where the heck I put them. Maybe my surroundings need a bit more decluttering.



No comments: