Thursday, June 16, 2011

Excess Garbage

I'm only allowed to put out one bag of garbage a week and I don't know how families can do this. I rarely cook, rarely buy anything, and still manage to fill my allotted bag every single Wednesday. Then I have one in the laundryroom and one in the yard that sits there until it's full. Since I can't put an extra bag out on garbage day, my good neighbor carts it away for me but what about people who don't have such a neighbor?

When this one bag per household rule came along, I assumed that we'd see garbage bags littering the countryside but I don't think that happened. There's a possibility that some people dispose of their excess garbage in dumpsters rented by various businesses, otherwise I don't know where the heck it goes.

Recycling has been a good idea and it's practiced by most of us so that helps cut down on the amount of garbage bags needed. But what happens when you have company and one bag is not enough? I wonder if we can take it to the dump ourselves and pay a fee? I've taken loads of wood and paint cans to the dump but there was no fee for that, just separate areas where you could drop it.

It surprises me that when I'm in Florida we get daily garbage pickup and there is very little recycling except for pop and beer cans which are sold to a recycling plant.

My plan for a more efficiently run city would be mail delivery and garbage pickup twice a week. Wouldn't that make sense? It won't happen, although I think we might have fewer mail delivery days in the future. The only thing I received in the mail in the past week are sales flyers and I think we could easily do without those every day.

No comments: