Thursday, June 02, 2011

Postal Strike...Who Cares?

There is a postal strike threatening us but most of us don't feel the slightest bit threatened. I can't remember the last time I mailed a letter to someone because I'm an e-mail queen. I sell hardly anything on Ebay while I'm in Canada because the shipping cost is way too high already. My bills are paid either by automatic withdrawal from the bank account or online and my pension money goes into my account automatically. Very little impact will be felt by me during a postal strike unless I'd miss all those dumb store flyers in the mailbox. I won't.

I feel a bit bad for the postal employees because they are darned well paid for a service that is gradually becoming obsolete. Maybe it isn't a good idea for them to be striking for higher wages and benefits when we're mostly doing quite well without their services. If I were them, I'd be hoping that I could hang on to my job and not do something to cause layoffs.

This is a world in which many previously secure jobs are becoming obsolete. When I was in high school, I used to think I wanted to be a stenographer but today you can speak into a machine that puts your words in print. Bookkeepers use complex computer programs rather than math skills. Factories use more computerized equipment now than manpower. Milk and bread home deliverymen long ago had to change their career paths.

As the world changes, whether it's for the better or worse, we need to adjust our previously held convictions and realize that we must change with it. If a mailperson is mainly delivering unwanted advertisements to homes then they should worry that their well paid jobs just might be at risk. It's inevitable that door to door mail delivery will soon become a thing of the past.

No comments: