Wednesday, July 06, 2011

Get More Than One Estimate!

On Monday I got an estimate from the "Handyman Connection" and he rated the jobs at about $1200, much more than I'd anticipated but I really didn't know what it should cost. The man was very nice but seemed a little surprised that I wasn't going to accept his offer immediately. I told him I would get back to him after getting input on whether it was a fair price.

Yesterday I phoned the store where I'd purchased the tile and was given 3 names and numbers of contractors to call. I decided to just call the person (John) on the top of the list and have him come and give me an estimate. He arrived well before noon and gave me a price of $685 for doing the same 3 jobs that yesterday's man smilingly offered to do for $1200. John is a licenced contractor with his own business so I''m wondering where "Handyman Connection" gets off charging almost double for the same job.

John starts on Thursday!

I'm getting a little overwhelmed with upheaval of both good and bad news that's happening around here. I want only good news and good things for my whole family so the gods of fate had better step in and straighten things out.

Nolan turns 2 on Sunday so I went to Toys R Us and bought him a cute little Lightening McQueen ride in car...no pedals, just foot power because he can't reach the pedals yet on the little cars I have here for him. I think he'll love it.

I was joking with Kim about staying home and running a day care instead of going to a stressful job every day and she said she couldn't do it because there's only one kid (Nolan) she wants to look after and she does that for free. He is one bright and shining light in our lives and I know that Nash will share that spotlight once he grows up a bit. Now he just lays there and smiles contentedly.

Every day, in every way, we live lives filled with both happiness and sadness. If the percentage of happiness outweighs the sadness then we can persevere. It's a domineering sadness that smushes us into the ground and makes us unable to cope. I haven't had one of those dreadful days in a long, long time. Life, with all it's pitfalls, can be lovely if we choose to dwell on the good stuff and only deal with the bad on a strong footing.

Speaking of a strong footing, today I get a pedicure.

No comments: