Saturday, August 13, 2011

There's Thunder in the Air

I love the sound of distant thunder proclaiming the approach of a rainfall. Note I said "distant" because thunder directly overhead scares the bejeezus out of me. I've never been struck by lightening but I have 2 stories of the effects of a lightening storm.

My grandmother told me that once there was a severe storm and a ball of lightening burst through her parents' open bedroom window and set something on their dresser on fire. Then there was the time my father-in-law's wall telephone was melted by lightening striking the telephone line. To this day, I won't stay on the phone during a storm unless I'm on a cordless phone.

Back to the pleasant part of storms...there is always a feeling and smell in the air when a storm is approaching and it promises cleansing as well as a drink of water for our outside plants. As long as the thunder and lightening isn't too close, I love to sit outside and watch from a sheltered spot. During a strong storm where the thunder and lightening are too close for my comfort, I still don't mind it too much if I'm inside the house with windows closed, of course.

Right now the rain is falling straight down, not too heavy, and the thunder I hear is a ways off yet so I can leave the patio door open and watch it do it's good job. The breeze coming through the door is so fresh that it exhilarates me.

Nature can be either beautiful or scary.

No comments: