Friday, September 09, 2011

Faye Needs Younger Friends

Faye is 76 years old but half that age in interests and energy. She called to ask me if I'd like to wander around Aberdeen St. tomorrow because some special event was going on. Old fogey that I am, I considered that the street would be crowded because it's a Saturday and because it's a special event so I turned down her offer. She said she needs younger friends. Now, Faye has lots of friends of all ages so she has lots to pick from. Unfortunately for her, she'd prefer to run the roads with her old friends and some of us have bad knees.

We always tell Faye that she'll be sharing her 100th birthday with Don and Sheila because none of the rest of us will make it there. Don, at 76, still rides horses. Sheila, at 76, still has her own black hair and moves like a teenager. Faye is going to miss those of us who don't make it!

I'm really angry with my knees because they hold me back in ways I'd never anticipated. I've always loved to walk and sightsee but now I have to think about how much pain I can tolerate or how far I dare venture. I don't like this at all. The thing with my knees is that the pain can disappear for months on end and then come back with a vengeance so I'll just have to save myself for the good days.

Some good news for me: I got my out-of-country insurance quote for Florida. I'll be leaving here Nov. 5th and returning April 15th and my insurance will cost $774. I have a good broker who always gets me a good rate. My skin cancer won't be covered, of course, but that's not a problem. If it returns while I'm in Florida, I'll just come home early to have it treated.

No comments: