Friday, September 23, 2011

My Girls

My girls grew up in a loving but chaotic household, due to my bouts of depression. Somehow they grew up to be strong, capable, and good women so I always say that their father and I must have done a few things right. Maybe the deep love we had for them helped them get through the chaos.

I got a phone call from Shelley this morning and she was crying as she insisted on telling me it was a happy cry. She'd received her Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree this past spring and was just accepted in grad school to take steps towards earning her Master of Science in Nursing degree. We both cried in happiness but there had never been any doubt in my mind that she'd be accepted.

My girls are all smart as a whip even if I do say so myself. Each one of them is capable of achieving whatsoever they choose to do with their lives and I credit the intelligent genes they inherited from both me and their father. I do flatter myself, don't I?

I realized a long time ago that my spirit was too weak for me to do what was best for myself but that made me determined that my children wouldn't suffer the same fate. I've especially stressed to the female line that they had to be strong and not ever let anyone hold them back. Many thanks to the "crazy" Women's Liberation movement of the 1960's!

My girls were always very much loved but they also were always expected to live up to their capabilities. We were maybe a little too strict with their freedom but we'd seen how much trouble girls can get into if not monitored properly. If I could go back and remove the effects of their living with their sometimes wildly depressed mother, I'd do that but it can't be undone.

My girls grew up in a large extended family that we were all very close to and that taught them to value family even more than usual. My girls have remained the closest of sisters and continue the closeness with their nieces and nephews.

Yes, Dennis and I did something right to have produced three girls who grew up to be three wonderful women.

No comments: