Sunday, September 25, 2011

We Live For Home

“The homemaker has the ultimate career. All other careers exist for one purpose only - and that is to support the ultimate career. ” ― C.S. Lewis

I've become a fan of C.S. Lewis' quotes and this is one that makes sense in a way I never thought of before. It's so true that whatever road or career we choose to follow in life, it's all done in order to provide our nest, our home. What we put into that nest, be it children, works of art, or simply comfy furniture, it's the end result of our labors.

I do believe he might mean that a housewife is set in place and supported by a husband who works outside the home but I choose to look at it my own way.

Some people go a little too far and use their homes as status symbols instead of what they are supposed to represent. A home, with family and necessary furnishings, is our haven. It's where we live, where we plan our lives, where we form our families. It's where we carry on the reason for our existence.

Home is a comfort zone where outsiders are allowed entry only with our permission. We have our special chairs or spot on the sofa that suits us perfectly. Our "things" are there. It's where we go to escape the stresses of the world and, when we step inside and close the door behind us, we are where we belong.

Yes, everything that we do outside our home is of less importance than what we do inside because inside is where our heart is. There really is no place like home, is there?

I've gone on lovely vacations in the past, travelled to foreign countries where I revelled in the new experiences but, about 10 days into the trip, I always began to long for home. It was as though I realized that I didn't really belong in those places...they weren't "home" to me. Now, my little trailer in Florida is very close to home for me, though, because it's a place I've settled. I've put down roots and maybe that's the key. You just don't have the time to put down roots when you're vacationing and it might also be a place you won't even return to in the future.

I've lived in my house for 43 years so my roots go deep here. Most of the memories of my life revolve around happenings in this house. And I do have my favorite spot on the sofa. Apparently Nolan is aware that it's my spot because he often points to it and tells me to "sit" (he has a cute little lisp so it sounds more like "shit" but I know what he means).

Looking back, I know that it took a lot of effort and hard work to buy our home. We gave up luxuries in order to have the home that was so important to us...I think it mattered more to me but then it probably does matter more to the woman. Our nesting instinct is so strong that few men can deter us from our goal of raising our families in our own homes.

C.S. Lewis was right. It's all done for the home.


No comments: