Thursday, October 13, 2011

Done!

I finished the last radiation treatment on my lip today and the scab is digging into my chin. Even with an irritation like this, I'm feeling pretty darned good because my path is on the way to recovery with just the next two weeks blocking my way. The technician told me it will be 6 weeks before the scab disappears altogether but that doesn't bother me. I'll end up going to my park in Florida with my battle scar but my friends won't mind.

I've felt healthy through the whole process and had very little discomfort, too, so I can't complain about a dumb scab, can I? I told Kim that I could hand out candy for Halloween and the kids would think I was wearing a mask. It's ugly for sure but sometimes we just have to bear with the nasty in order to reach the nice. I've kept a separate blog with pictures but it was meant for other people with skin cancer to see what happens when you are treated for it. I've resisted putting a picture of myself on this blog because it's pretty gross but I may do it soon just to show my million readers (LOL!) what I've been able to overcome.

Kim tells me I've been brave but that's not it at all. What I did was to get all the information I could and then deal with it because I had to do so. That's not bravery but common sense. I really believe that most of us can handle anything as long as we know the facts and especially if we know it's not permanent.

There were times I wanted to punch my radiologist out when he'd remind me that my skin cancer was small and shallow. As I sat there looking at him with my scabby Ubangi lip hanging there, it never felt small to me. Of course, the skin cancer itself is nowhere near the size of the scab. Another thing I didn't like was taking a picture of myself every morning. Do you realize that close-up pictures of a 71 year old woman's face shows a lot of wrinkles? I'd prefer not to see them that clearly.

I wish I hadn't developed skin cancer but I'm glad that it was treatable. I also wish I was thin and beautiful but, unfortunately, that's unattainable so I'll settle for the good in my life and be damned thankful there is so much of it.



No comments: