Sunday, February 26, 2012

If You Knew

For whatever reason, I've spent a lot of the weekend watching documentaries of killers and it's been very perplexing wondering how their parents and families can keep on supporting and believing in them, even against undisputable evidence against them.

I wonder how I would feel if one of my beloved children or grandchildren committed a heinous crime. I know it would take strong evidence to convince me they'd done it but, even with a confession from them, would I still have an element of doubt? Once convinced of their guilt, I know I'd still love them to the very end, though. I'd want help for them but I wouldn't want a harsh punishment for them, no matter what they'd done.

Criminals either don't know or don't care how their crimes and convictions will affect their families. Often the offender's family suffers almost as much as the families of the victim.

The love you feel for someone doesn't end because that person commits a crime, no matter how offensive the crime. At least I don't think so and hope I never have to find out if this is true or not. Murder is so out of the norm that average people can't even understand the concept of someone choosing to end another's life.

Right now I'm watching a made-for-T.V. movie on the Karla Homolka/Paul Bernardo murders and there is no sense to be made of it at all. It's beyond understanding how these two handsome people could allow themselves to take the lives of three innocent teenage girls and for him to rape countless others. And it's further unbelievable that Karla Homolka spent only a short time in prison and is now free, married, and with children of her own. How could someone who committed the most horrible of crimes just carry on her life as though it never happened? Where and when will she receive her true punishment for what she's done? I wonder.

No comments: