Tuesday, July 03, 2012

Ear Wax

I'm not sure just when I had to start having my family doctor clean impacted wax out of my ears but it seems I need it done every 3 years now.  I wake up one morning and my ears just won't clear so a week long job of putting mineral oil in my ears begins before the doctor will syringe the mess out.


There is one ear that syringing causes a tiny bit of discomfort to because that ear drum was perforated about 10 years ago from a severe head cold...I guess a perforated ear drum never heals perfectly.  Otherwise, the procedure of cleaning out excess ear wax is fast and easy.  I must have a very deep ear canal because my doctor is always amazed at how much wax shoots out.


Once it's done, the clarity of hearing is so acute that it's almost painful to hear any sound at all.  Of course, you quickly get used to it and it becomes the norm for you.


I've had my family doctor for about 36 years now and we're both getting on in age.  I adore and have great trust in him and it will be a sad day for me when he decides to retire.  After all these years, he knows me well and I've learned how knowledgeable he is and how much I can count on him when necessary.  I'm afraid that family doctors like mine might become a thing of the past and that impersonal clinics will take their place in our society.  There's no doubt this will cause some health problems to go undetected because the doctors won't have a strong relationship with their patients.


Anyway, the good news is that my hearing is now at optimum strength for at least 3 years.

No comments: