Monday, July 09, 2012

New AC?

Last year I began thinking it might be a good to replace my ancient central air conditioner with a new one but I decided to put it off until this year.  This year rolled around and I had to buy a new car which gave me a hefty line of credit bill.  I again thought maybe I could put off buying a new air conditioner until next year but the past week has made me change my mind again.


My house is a storey and a half and the upper floor has always been hard to keep cool during really hot weather.  The old air conditioner just doesn't have the power to push that cold air all the way upstairs.  Since we've had such horribly hot weather so far this summer, the air conditioner has run almost continuously day after day even though the upstairs sometimes remains unbearably warm.  I think it's time to make the change!


I had company over on Saturday night to play cards and wasn't able to get the temperature of the first floor down below 78 degrees...very uncomfortable for everyone...so it's obvious the old air conditioner is too inefficient to keep any longer.  Today I phoned the people who installed the new furnace a few years ago and asked them to come up and give me a price for a new unit.  Whatever it is, I'm going to have to grin and bear it.  Either that or suffer with the summer heat for the rest of my life in this house.  I can't see any benefit from unnecessary discomfort, can you??

No comments: