Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Possum

I think we're supposed to call them opossums but they have always been called possums around here.  I've seen the odd one in my yard and thought they were horrible to look at but tonight I nearly ran into one.  I was outside about 9:30 P.M. to turn the water sprinkler off and noticed one of my flower pots  tipped over so I straightened it, wondering what sized beastie had the girth to tip it in the first place.  As I stepped onto the upper deck just before the patio doors, something scooted beside the deck and ran under the next door neighbor's shed.  I was shocked at the large size of it and a little disturbed by it's long skinny tail, thinking it might be a giant rat.  Now I have never seen a rat near my house and I don't ever want to see one so I had to get on the computer and try to find out just what I'd run into.


This beastie was darkish and the size of a small chubby dog but the only possum I'd ever seen was pale colored and skinny so I didn't think to look for possums on the internet at first.  When I finally did, I discovered that they come in different colors and can indeed be darker furred and chubby.  


I'm happy it wasn't a rat but I also found out on the internet that possums can work their way into the basement or attic of a house.  I just might start having nightmares.

No comments: