Tuesday, August 07, 2012

Another Friend Gone

I think Joe was one of the maintenance men in our Florida park from the first time we went there.  He was such a nice, pleasant man, maybe 15 years younger than us so still working.  You could tell by looking at Joe that he hadn't had an easy life but he worked hard and always had an upbeat attitude, friendly and helpful to everyone.

Dennis played guitar in the park's small clubhouse every Monday night and Joe played the bass so that may be how they became such good friends.  Dennis was a "working man" at heart and felt best in the company of other working men.  When Dennis passed away and I went down to the park by myself that first season, Joe came over to the trailer and cried as he hugged me hello.  I think that says a lot about the relationships we hold with each other in that park.  

Well, it was my turn to cry for Joe today when I found out he'd just passed away from lung cancer.  He was diagnosed last winter and spent some scary times in the hospital when we weren't sure he'd be able to leave the hospital for home again...but he did.  He and Donna live in the park as does his mother so he was well cared for there.  I hope his passing was peaceful for that good man.

No comments: