Thursday, August 23, 2012

Crossing the Border

Yesterday I had very little to do except housework so I decided to go over to the States and do a little shopping.  Driving along the QEW, I saw the first sign that warned me that car traffic crossing the border had a 30-60 minute wait and that gave me pause.  Should I just turn around and go home or hope the wait was closer to the 30 minute time?  Housework or a 30 minute wait at the border...hmmm!  I kept on my way to the border.

The line-up at the border was longer than I'd ever seen it on the Canadian side but, what the heck, I had nothing else important to do.  Something I learned in this line-up was that, when the line split off, always take the line to the right because that's how the border guards open up new ones...from left to right...so you'll end up in a shorter line.  And that's how it worked out.  The wait was 30 minutes and I had the nicest, cutest border guard who almost waved me right through.  Border guards are notoriously cold as ice but this one was human.

I did just a little bit of shopping for necessities like bubble wrap, yarn, envelopes, and printer ink cartridge, and then had a nice lunch at an Arby's where 2 waitresses got into a loud verbal spat.  One of them must have been the manager because no-body broke it up.

Heading back home, I had the same 30 minute wait and always took the new right lane that opened up.  Great results again.  The Canadian border guard was just as nice and human as the American one had been so my whole trip was a pleasant one...other than the squabbling waitresses but that was more interesting than scary.

Sometimes our days are nothing special, just a trip here or there or something as mundane as housework.  As long as we're not embroiled in tragedy, we should accept and enjoy these simple days when they come along.  I did.


No comments: