Thursday, November 29, 2012

Prejudice

Someone posted on Facebook the other day a saying, "The only difference between tattooed people and non-tattooed people is that tattooed people don't care that the non-tattooed people aren't tattooed".  I've probably paraphrased but that's the gist of the message.  What I got from that is how prejudiced most of us are against what we consider the norm.

People of different religions go to war because they can't tolerate the difference.  Gays are harrassed and sometimes murdered because the so-called normal people can't tolerate the difference.  People of different skin colors attack each other based on the color or their skins.

I think that what we don't understand worries us too much and we retalliate based on our fears instead of learning to live peacefully with people of different persuasions.  I may sound like a saint here but I carry my own prejudices that I'm trying to overcome.  It would help this troubled world if we all would make an attempt to be more open minded about inconsequentials because there is a lot of true evil here to use our energies to battle.

The unknown still makes me nervous, like the influx of Muslims into our country, but I'm working on understanding instead of turning against.  I'll never understand gays but I believe wholeheartedly that they have the right to love whomever they choose.  Too many wars have been fought in the name of religion for me to have faith that religion is a good thing but I can see how much comfort many receive from their own religion.  I guess the answer to a lot of world problems is to just live and let live.  Easier said than done but it's necessary if we're all going to live in peace.





No comments: