Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thanksgiving

I guess I'm a bit cynical but I'm wondering how many people will be abused, beaten, or murdered today.  Thanksgiving draws us together to consider how much we have to be thankful for but, unfortunately, the world also consists of people who believe they have the right to abuse, beat, or murder no matter what the day happens to be.

Wars are waged over petty reasons such as religious differences or clan disputes where the savagery in the human soul rises to the surface and ready to draw blood.  A day off work means a whole day for some to drink themselves into a mindless rage and take it out on their helpless families.  Not every home holds the wholesome scene of smiling faces at the Thanksgiving day dinner table.

Most of the seniors in my Florida park will spend the day together in our clubhouse, enjoying the camaraderie and pot luck dinner.  There will be no fighting or arguing in our midst because we will truly be thankful for this moment in our time.  I wish it could be the same all over the world.

I guess life is what we make of it, whether choosing to follow a peaceful path or choosing to make another's life miserable.  The peaceful path is the one we were meant to follow but I often wonder if the day will ever come when it's a universal route.

Cynicism aside, I can't wait to sit a table full of good friends and dig into that turkey dinner this afternoon!

No comments: