Sunday, February 03, 2013

Lazy Day Musings

Sunday is a day for myself, staying home or not but generally not including anyone else in my space.  I'm not feeling 100% today...maybe just 95%...so I had a long nap and that seems to have knocked an incipient cold right out of my system.  Naps are good.

I read some Facebook posts and that always gets my mind meandering around and it settled on how much I used to enjoy looking after my grandchildren when they were little.  I wonder if it meant anything near as much to them as it did to me.  It's possible that I grew up right along with them because my mental maturity seemed to end at the age of 17 when I got married.  That's a phenomena that often happens with child brides and I really do believe it happened with me.

I wasn't ready for children at 17 but my grandchildren arrived at just the right time for me and taking care of them a few days a week was one of the blessings in my life.  They made me laugh.  They gave me love and affection that was so easy to return.  And then I could say goodbye to them when their parents got home from work and have some time for myself.  Perfect.

There are no serial killers among my grandchildren but, if there were, I'd have a hard time believing it because the portraits of them in my mind are of bright, innocent eyes and sweet young faces.  They can do no wrong. And that's just the way it was and is and will always be.

Now I have been blessed with two greatgrandsons and that holds for them, too.  Age will prohibit me the strength (and maybe time) to participate fully in life with them but I will do the best I can to bond with them and hope my presence in their babyhood is a positive one for them.  It can't help but be a positive and fun one for me.

Kim, Cindy, Shelley, Nicholas, Matthew, Tyson, Kyle, Aeron, Lisette, Nicole, Jake, Nolan, and Nash.  The reasons (so far) why I was born.

  

No comments: