Saturday, April 20, 2013

Barren to Beautiful in 1 Month

The backyard looks so terribly barren right now but in my mind's eye I can envision what it will look like this time next month.  I've decided on a white and pink/purple theme with a dash of yellow but now I need to think carefully about exactly what flowers to plant.  There will be fewer this year due to my downsizing efforts, though.

Geraniums are always on the list but I think I'll cross off impatiens.  They're good for filler, color, and hanging abilities but too sensitive to drought so I might exchange them for begonias and use more of the ground cover for trailing.  I had been going to plant tomatoes in the front porch planters but decided they are too much trouble and will settle for portulaca again.  Portulaca thrives on neglect.

I love this time of the year when it's filled with planning to fill my world with color and beauty.  It can be cold and overcast outside but the pictures in my mind are in living color.  I'm so lucky that I get to do this all over again in October and November when I go to Florida!

No comments: