Friday, April 19, 2013

More Angry Than Hurt

It often takes me a while when talking to make my words properly express my thoughts.  They sometimes spew out not clearly reflecting what I'm trying to say but I've now learned to slow down and usually choose my words more carefully because I'm aware of this flaw.

One of my distant relatives stung me pretty badly lately by not giving me the chance to clarify what I was trying to say and chose, instead, to listen to the initial words instead of the explanation that followed.  I felt attacked, misunderstood, with no chance to explain myself but I gave up trying because of her unwarranted insults.  It was a complete shock to me but has served to put me on my guard from now on when in her company.

The subject was about a young man who carried stuffed animals with him at college.  Of course, this led to him being bullied because of his odd behaviour.  I tried to explain that a parent of a child like that (exhibiting behaviour that will surely make them a target for bullies) should think twice about sending their child alone into a situation where they will be targeted.  My relative chose to read into my words that I thought children who were different should not be allowed to attend college.

This has irritated me no end and I thought that by putting it into the blog where I could take the time to edit my thoughts I could get past this.  The world is full of interesting characters who don't fully fit our definition of "normal" but anything out of the norm, unless enough of us stand up in support, will draw the bullies.  I believe that sending your "very different" child off to a college where no-one knows or protects their individuality can be a dangerous thing to do.  I am not saying they have no right to do so.  I am not saying we should bow down and give in to bullies.  I am only saying that we should be careful about sending our "very different" child off into unknown territory, simply for the child's protection.

That said, I'm still p....d about being misunderstood!!  

No comments: