Monday, April 29, 2013

Nolan Swims

This is going to be a fun summer.  Nolan is in swimming class and he's going to be playing soccer so I'm looking forward to attending every session I can.

I watched his swimming class yesterday and was very impressed with how the young lady instructor handled her 5 little students.  Nolan was the most boisterous by far but nothing more than anyone would expect of a 3 1/2 year old child.  He loves the water and seems to have no fear of it so that's a good beginning.  His cousin, Aislin (a really sweet little girl and just 1 month younger than Nolan), was also in the class and part of Nolan's mild misbehaviour centered around her...for instance, he'd yank the strap of her flotation device.  Typical 3 1/2 year old silliness!  On the other hand, one little girl stared him down until he wisely moved out of her way.  He's a smart boy.

It was interesting to watch how the instructor encouraged the children to be comfortable jumping in and going underwater.  None seemed nervous at all.  Many parents, grandparents, and at least 1 greatgrandparent (me) beamed as our little treasures learned their lessons.  Soon the lesson was over and the instructor directed her little charges to form a line on their backs (all in flotation vests), hanging on to the child in front, and she dragged them all back to the steps where they exited the pool.  It was a good experience for everyone and I'm sure they'll all want to return next week for another lesson.

Something that was new to me was that the change room was unisex with naked baby bodies all over the place.  Could it be that the Victorian way of teaching our babies that nakedness is evil has finally faded away?  I certainly hope so!  I remember all too clearly how, in 1966, police were summoned by an irate person who was scandalized by the vision of a naked 2 year old boy frolicking on the local beach with his family.  How sad.

Anyway, yesterday was my first glimpse of all the fun to come this summer with Nolan and I know I'm going to enjoy every moment of it! 

No comments: