Friday, June 07, 2013

Selling My House

Yesterday I realized that I would be foolish to try to stay in my house for another two years when I had a potential buyer waiting in the wings, one I could sell to without using a real estate agent and the fee they would charge.  I also wouldn't have to put up with dozens of people traipsing through my house if it was in the hands of a realty.  So I called Lisa and told her that her cousins were welcome to see the house now and buy it if they chose to do so.  They arrived about 8 P.M.

Her cousins are very sweet and polite people who showed a great deal of respect as they looked around the house.  I suggested they come back in the daytime to have a better look around and they'll come back on Sunday.  They'll also have an inspector check it out if they decide to buy it and that's a smart thing for them to do.  I told Lisa that I wouldn't sell for less than I'm asking and I do mean that.  If I can't get my asking price it would make more sense for me to wait out the two years I'd originally intended and that would give me more time to prepare to move.

My house needs some work but I don't think there's anything too wrong with it.  After all, the house is 60 years old so some problems will exist.  This is such a huge move on my part and somewhat frightening just considering the logistics.  I need to find an apartment I want to live in for, hopefully, quite a few years and I do have a ton of stuff to get rid of before actually moving.  Luckily, the couple who are interested will let me leave anything I don't want to take with me.  They are recent immigrants so they don't have furnishings.

Today I'll try to look at some apartments that interest me and hope they'll be available soon.  I'd like to take possession of an apartment at least one month before needing to move into it so that I can move in gradually.  This has been my plan all along but I'd thought that it wouldn't be happening for a couple of years.  Nonetheless, I'm nervous about such a momentous move but getting a little excited about it, too.  I don't need this house or the upkeep it demands of me.  Whether the house sells this year or in 2 years, the time has come.

  

No comments: