Monday, July 15, 2013

Difference of Opinion

This morning, Lisette and I carried on some interesting (to me, at least) dialogue on Facebook regarding who you should accept into your circle of friends.  Lisette is deeply passionate about civil rights and I know that her future endeavours to bring peace, harmony, and acceptance to her fellow man will only help the human race.  I'm very proud of her.  But she has no tolerance of intolerance and tends to shut out anyone she sees as perpetuating racism and sexism.  I have a slight difference of opinion.

Many of the people I care for have a different philosophy than mine but they also possess an awful lot of the positive characteristics that I adhere to.  I told Lisette that my primary need in a friend is one who is honest and kind.  If they hold personal views on racism or sexism or any other kind of "ism" that doesn't coincide with my own I can handle that as long as they don't try to convert me.  I, in turn, only let my own views be known but don't try to convert others to my way of thinking.

I don't think I've ever been racist but I certainly was sexist, believing wholeheartedly in my early years that men should earn more for the same job as a woman and also be the head of the household.  I've evolved over the years and now have completely different beliefs.  In my almost 73 years, I've evolved and I've seen how society as a whole has evolved.  It will always be a continuing process until the day we fragile human beings reach the point where there is no more prejudice.  But it sure as hell isn't going to happen in my lifetime or even my greatgrandchildren's lifetime...but it will happen.

In the meantime, because all of us are flawed in one way or another, I plan to look for the good in all the other damaged people and accept the ones who aren't dangerously psycho.  We're all part and parcel of our upbringing and social conditioning and it's going to take a long time for our belief system to change...but it will change.

Lisette, go forth and effect change for the better.  You will always be a good influence on your fellow man!



No comments: